Yesterday i finally upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 and below are the changes / updates / upgrades is what i saw. I thought it would be good option for anyone to go through the features below before upgrading 🙂
The products that are compatible with this upgrade are:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 2
- iPod touch (4th generation)
- iPod touch (3rd generation)
This update will give more than 200 new features. Most of them are listed below:
- Notification center gives you the flexibility to see all the notifications in one place. All you have to do is swipe from top of any screen to bottom.
- New notifications will appear briefly at the top of the screen.
- You can view notifications from lock screen as well.
- Also sliding the notification app icon to the right on the lock screen will take you directly to the app.
- After this upgrade you can send and receive unlimited text, photo and video messages with other iOS 5 users.
- Message tracking with delivery receipts and read receipts
- Group messages
- Secure encryption
- iMessage will work with both cellular network and Wi-Fi
- Newsstand automatically organizes magazine and newspaper subscriptions on Home Screen
- Newsstand displays the cover of the latest issue
- Newsstand downloads new issues in background.
- iOS 5 has reminders for managing to do lists
- Reminders syncs with iCloud, iCal and Outlook
- Only for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S reminders has location based reminders when you arrive or leave a location
[highlight]Twitter Built in Support[/highlight]
- Once you sign in from settings, you can tweet directly from Camera, Photos, Maps, Safari and YouTube
- You can add location to your tweets.
- You can also view twitter profile pictures and username in contacts.
- Volume up button can be used for taking the picture.
- There is an option of gridlines to line up shots
- Pinch to zoom in the preview screen
- You can swipe to camera roll from preview screen.
- You can double click on the home button when device is asleep to bring up a camera shortcut on iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Tap and hold to lock focus and exposure, iPad 2 and iPod touch (4th generation) only support exposure lock
- You can crop and rotate photo.
- Red eye removal.
- One tap enhance.
- You can organize photo into albums
- You can format text using bold, italic and underline fonts
- Now you have indentation control.
- You can just drag to rearrange names in address fields.
- You can flag messages.
- You can mass mark messages as flagged, read or unread.
- You can customize mail alert sounds
- S/MIME support
- Year view for iPad and new week view for iPhone and iPod touch.
- You can tap to create an event.
- You can view and add event attachments.
[highlight]Game Center Improvements[/highlight]
- You can now use personal photos for you game center accounts
- You can compare your overall achievements score with your friends
- Find new Game Center friends with friend recommendations and friends of friends.
- You can discover new games with custom game recommendations.
[highlight]AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2 and iPhone 4GS[/highlight]
[highlight]Multitasking gestures for iPad[/highlight]
- You use four or five fingers to pinch to home screen.
- You can swipe to reveal the multitasking bar
- You can swipe left or right to switch between applications
[highlight]Device setup, activation and configuration with Setup Assistant[/highlight]
[highlight]Software updates available over the air without tethering[/highlight]
- iTunes in the Cloud
- Photo Stream
- Documents in the Cloud
- Apps and Books automatic download and purchase history
- Contacts, Calendar and Mail
- Find My iPhone
[highlight]Redesigned Music App for iPad[/highlight]
[highlight]Hourly Weather Forecast[/highlight]
[highlight]Real-Time Stock Quotes[/highlight]
[highlight]Wireless sync to iTunes[/highlight]
- Split keyboard for iPad
- Keyboard now has improved auto-correction accuracy
- Keyboard is improved for Chinese and Japanese input
- New Emoji keyboard introduced
- Personal directory for auto-correction
- You can now optionally create keyboard shortcuts for frequently used words.
- Option to light LED flash on incoming calls and alerts for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
- Custom vibration Patterns for incoming calls on iPhone
- New interface for using iOS with mobility-impairment input devices
- Option to spask a selection of text
- Custom element labeling for VoiceOver.
[highlight]Exchange ActiveSync improvenments[/highlight]
- You can now Wirelessly sync tasks.
- iOS now has improved offline support
- You can also save new contact from a GAL Service.
[highlight]More than 1,500 new developer APIs[/highlight]
[highlight]And of course bug fixes[/highlight]
[highlight]For more information visit[/highlight]