Let me tell you some facts that you should know if you like computers….Not sure if all of them would come like a surprise to you but i guarantee that some of them will…..
So, here it goes. Ten myths and there truths.
- The internet was a military network designed to survive a nuclear attack – The precursor to the internet (APRANET) was funded by a branch of the US defence department. Howerver, its purpose was communication between universities and not war.
- Al Gore invented the internet – US Congressman, Al Gore promoted the concept of “comms” as something that could be good for both ecommerce and education in the 1970s.
- Al Gore said he invented the internet – What actually Al Gore said was – “During my service in the United States Congress, i took the initiative in creating the internet”
- Packet Switching was invented by US – Actually an Englishmen called Donald Davies who was working at the National Physics Laboratory was also developing a packet switched network concept in the year 1965
- The first ever email said “QWERTYUIOP” – The first email was sent between teo PDP-10 computers in 1971 by BBN network engineer Ray Tomlinson. It comprised the equally boring “Testing 1-2-3”
- Ray Tomlinson sent first email – The MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology ) launched the mailbox system in 1965. It let users drop messages in the directories of the users of the same mainframe computer.
- Google Started Internet Search – The internet search tool was created way back in 1990 by compterscience students at McGrill university in Montreal.
- Netscape Navigator was the first web browser – The text – only linux browser was first off the mark in 1992, followed by NCSA Mosaic in 1993 and finally netscape navigator in 1994.
- The 404 error message is after a vacant room at CERN – Actually you will be surprised to know that there is no room number 404 at CERN labs in Switzerland. The 4xx class of error messages relates to problems where the client is thought to have gone wrong and the reminder is just a serial number.
- Social Networking is new – One of the first Social Netwroking site was The Well, a virtual community that started in 1985.
Do let me know if you liked my post. Also if you have something to share just add it here…..